Down House

Down House is the former home of Charles Darwin. Here he worked on his theories of evolution and natural selection. It is located on Luxted Road, just south of the village of Downe. The Darwins moved here in 1842. In 1907, a girls’ boarding school was established at the house. From 1927 to 1996, it served as the Darwin Museum. In 1996, English Heritage acquired it and restored the house, which re-opened to the public in 1998.

Parent Map

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.330357500000
Longitude: 0.052761800000