Guild of St Cecilia

In 1891, a group of musicians led by Canon Frederick Kill Harford inaugurated the Guild of St Cecilia, to provide live music to patients in London hospitals. The Guild used the Westminster Palace Hotel (now demolished)—the biggest hotel in London at the time and the first with lifts, on the corner of Victoria Street and Tothill Street, opposite Westminster Abbey in central London—as a rehearsal space. Related BRANCH article: Shannon Draucker, "Hearing, Sensing, Feeling Sound: On Music and Physiology in Victorian England, 1857-1894."


Latitude: 51.499733239512
Longitude: -0.130210518837