Moulin Joli

The Moulin Joli (“Pretty Mill”) was a home with a farm and gardens on an island in the River Seine, France, owned by Claude-Henri Watelet (1718–1786). Watelet was a rich Frenchman fermier-général (tax farmer) who was an amateur artist and connoisseur of gardens. His Moulin Joli featured a residence, stables, dairy, flower and physic gardens, and a medical lab and infirmary. Watelat wrote about the Moulin Joli in his 1774 essay “Essai sur les jardins,” which introduced the English landscape garden to France.


Latitude: 48.923220383693
Longitude: 2.227240205248