The Painted Chamber

The Painted Chamber was built by Henry III as a private apartment in the medieval Palace of Westminster, London. It was gutted by fire in 1834, re-roofed and re-furnished to be used temporarily by the House of Lords until 1847, and finally demolished in 1851. Originally named the King’s Chamber, it came to be known as the Painted Chamber after its decorative wall paintings, of Virtues and Vices, and Bible figures. The brightly coloured paintings took 60 years to complete, starting in 1226.


Latitude: 51.499630968929
Longitude: -0.124791562448