Royal Caledonian Asylum

The Royal Caledonian Asylum was an institution launched in 1815 by the Highland Society of London to provide a home and education for Scottish children orphaned in the Napoleonic Wars. It later cared for children of Scottish soldiers who had died or were disabled, as well as local poor Scottish children. The asylum was originally located at 16 Cross Street, Hatton Garden, London, until 1819, when it was moved to Copenhagen Fields, Islington. It was renamed the Royal Caledonian Schools when Queen Victoria became Patron in 1852. The Schools was moved again in 1902 to Bushey, Hertfordshire, where the majority of pupils continued to come from military families. When the premises were sold in 1996, the proceeds went to the Royal Caledonian Schools Trust, which provides support for the children of Scots who served in the Armed Forces.


Latitude: 51.546207400000
Longitude: -0.117713100000